Nike Suing Reebok Over Tim Tebow Jets Jerseys, Reebok Required to Recall All Jets/Tebow Apparel and Buy it Back
Reebok’s last-ditch effort to profit off of Tim Tebow may have come up short. Reebok is being sued by Nike over selling #15 Tim Tebow Jets jerseys just days before their contract as the official apparel provider for the NFL expires. While Nike’s contract as the official provider for the NFL doesn’t start until next week, the company claims that Reebok’s agreement with the NFL Players Association expired on March 1. Nike says Reebok should only be selling the existing apparel made.
The lawsuit stated via the Wall Street Journal:
Reebok has sought to take advantage of this unique, short-lived opportunity by supplying, without authorization or license, Tebow-identified New York Jets apparel to retailers in New York and elsewhere around the country.
Via Darren Rovell of CNBC:
[A] judge has granted Nike a temporary restraining order vs. Reebok. Reebok must stop producing & selling Jets Tebow products … As part of Nike restraining order, Reebok is required to recall Jets Tebow product that it sold to retailers & OFFER TO BUY IT BACK.
The reason why Nike filed the lawsuit is clear — they want to profit as much as possible off of Tebow. Nike paid $1.1billion for the right to be the official provider. Last season Tebow had the second highest-selling jersey in the league and now that he’s on a new team, he figures to be up in the top five once again.
I’m not sure why anyone would want to buy a Reebok jersey, I feel like the only people buying those Reebok-Tebow jerseys are the casual NFL fans, those that wouldn’t know Nike takes over next season.
Nike is set to unveil the new jerseys at the NFL Launch event on Tuesday (April 3) in New York.
Recently Posted to Thoughts of a Jeanius:
- Please Follow/Subscribe To Our Self Hosted Site www.ThoughtsofaJeanius.com
- Meek Mill & Tyga Coming To The UCF Arena For A Back To School Labor Day Concert
- Kid Cudi Provides Insight On His New Album
- Devin Hester’s Cousin Wanted for Murder
- WESH Channel 2 Failed to Reach Contract Extension with Bright House Networks, Blacked Out in Orlando
- Frank Ocean Releases ‘channel ORANGE’ A Week Ahead Of Schedule
- iHeart Music Fest Line-Up Announced: Taylor Swift, Bon Jovi, Lil Wanye, & MORE To Perform
- Dwight Howard Trade Update + Head Coaching Search Update
- Report: Brooklyn Nets are “Very Close” to Getting Dwight Howard
- Yahoo! Sports is Reporting Ryan Anderson Will Likely Be Moved in a Sign-and-Trade